Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Labels

Wednesday 21 September 2011

The Sunshine Coast to Vancouver

It rained late in the night and into the morning. I finally had a break in the weather and broke camp without making breakfast. The next ferry was only 25 km’s away. I did not see much of the coast after leaving my camping spot. It has been quite foggy which has also impaired my vision of the area. There are lots of large trees along the road and the traffic has not been too bad. But there is a fair amount of development along the road. There was also a good climb before my next ferry.


While waiting for the ferry I made a late breakfast and called about a hostel that was in Sechelt. The girl said Sechelt was 63 km’s from the ferry. I said I would do my best.


The ferry ride was almost an hour long. It started to rain and was very hilly getting off the ferry. Soon it was pouring rain and I was soaked. I now had to make it to the hostel as I was far too wet to get into a tent tonight. It seemed like slow going with all the hills and I

hit a monster of a hill in Halfmoon Bay. It was now getting dark and I still had about 20 km’s to go. I really hate riding in the dark. Getting into Sechelt I had to stop at a house to get direction to this hostel. It was real dark and I did not want to ride past the place. It turns out that Sechelt is a fairly big place and the hostel was in town. I don’t know how I did it but the ferry landed at 4:15 pm and I got to the hostel by 8:45 pm. With all the climbing and rain I must have passed through some worm hole.

So I guess I rode about 85 km’s today. I am not sure who named this place The Sunshine Coast but I have not seen any sunshine.


Friday September 16, 2011


Sechelt is a fairly heavily populated area. That being said I am so use to being remote that any kind of large town or small city seems massively overpopulated. The point is I am having a difficult time adjusting to so much cars, development, people and especially noise.
It was not a

long ride to the next and last ferry. But of course I missed the ferry by 15 minutes so I had to wait for the 2:45 pm ferry. I really feel like I rushed “The Sunshine Coast”. I think like a lot of areas that I ride through and they don’t get enough of my time; but that is the nature of cycling.

I got to the mainland at 3:30 and I got to my good friend Bob Dynes in Vancouver at 5:30 pm. I think I made good time riding through Vancouver and I never got lost or made a wrong turn. If I thought traffic was heavy in and leaving Sechelt it was nothing compared to Vancouver. Traffic is nuts and leaving the ferry feels like riding along the QEW just a lot of curves and a pretty big hill. There was lots and lots of cars zooming past me like crazy. I even hit some rush hour.
The nice thing is while it was cloudy I never did get wet today. I rode 25 km’s to the ferry and 25 km’s my friend’s house. So a total of 50 km’s riding today.


Saturday September

17, 2011

A largely uneventful day. A Walk to the park. Laundry done including my Gore-Tex Jacket. My laundry was really starting to smell real bad from getting wet on the Queen Charlotte Islands. Sometimes it is nice to do nothing. An absolutely excellent dinner. I had not had a good home made dinner since June 14th.


Sunday September 18, 2011


Another uneventful day. But I am not complaining. This is the nature of a cyclist’s day off, do nothing.


There are more photos at the bottom of this page


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment